Monday, January 14, 2013

Temper Tantrums

When I arrived at my son's school today, he saw me and quietly did the following:
  1. bonked himself on the head with his hand
  2. whipped his head back
  3. whipped his head forward
  4. went on all fours
  5. lowered his forehead to the floor
  6. kicked his feet
  7. looked in the mirror then looked at me
Maybe it's because he's still so little, or maybe it's because he pulls them off with such dramatic flair, and as if he were in a silent movie, but his temper tantrums make me stifle a chuckle.

The steps above have been his routine lately as a reaction for all sorts of wrongs and frustrations. I recently received a newsletter that had some good tips on how to handle tantrums. First, looking in the mirror and back at me is a key--he may be mildly frustrated or upset, but he essentially wants attention. To avoid reinforcing this behavior, we should remain calm and redirect him to something else if necessary. We should also determine whether what he wants is negotiable or non-negotiable. This evening, he had my phone and programmed some new numbers in it or called Australia or 9-1-1, I don't know. That is not negotiable. I took it away, and as he went through steps one through three and was about to go on all fours, I redirected his attention to one of his toys that makes noise and flashes lights. Tantrum averted.

Often, my drama king just wants something that I am already working on to happen faster, like when I'm walking over to hug him at school, when I'm making a bottle for him, or when I'm trying to figure out which book on the shelf he's waving his little finger at. In those cases, I stay calm and maybe even go a little more slowly. It's a good time for both of us to practice being patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment