Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I am Thankful for Health Care

I am thankful and privileged to have comprehensive health care benefits. My entire pregnancy was free, and it was filled with check-ups, ultrasounds, and classes. My unplanned C-Section and the unexpected few days in the hospital were free. My labor did not go well, and if it weren't for our health care provider, who knows what would have happened. Follow-up appointments with a lactation nurse to make sure we had mastered the all-important latch--that was free, too.

All of my son's doctors appointments and vaccines have also thankfully been without cost to us. When he had an abscess on his bum, we were able to email our doctor, take him in for care, get antibiotics, and then call again when we had questions. When he had a 104 degree fever, we were given clear directions and were reassured that we could take care of him at home. Sometimes I grumble that they create too much anxiety in the name of prevention, but I am so grateful for our doctors whose expertise and information is available to us for little to no cost.

As with childcare, it is truly unfortunate that we can't all have equitable access to the same level of high quality health services. I am certainly not any more worthy of comprehensive healthcare than other women whose jobs do not cover maternity and pediatric care. When I reflect upon what I'm thankful for, it is impossible not to imagine the alternative reality that exists for so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment